Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Del SIFF y algo más

Estas últimas semanas he sido muy activo en mis salidas al cine, así que voy a comentar un poco acerca de las últimas películas que he visto.

American Teen
I went back to high school while watching this film. It really feels as an honest representation of the storm of feelings and thoughts you had during that time: building your identity and making decisions that may completely change your life. Also, the formula of the movie really works out as the story flows very smoothly. Furthermore, all the animated sequences portraying the kid's dreams are very refreshing and artistic. I loved the film!

Blood Brothers (天堂口)
When you start hearing laughs during a sad movie, you know something is going the wrong way. 'Blood Brothers' starts so beautifully... there are some scenes remarkably artistic and so innocent and bold that I can still remember them with joy. Nonetheless, the story is too simple for its duration and in an attempt to make it more complicated or who knows what -- it starts getting worse and worse by the second. At the end, I was waiting for Jackie Chan to appear, but I guess they ran out of money.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I wish I can look like H. Ford when I am 40 -- but besides this fact, this movie is no fun. About the Adventure: Since scene 3 you knew the guys were invincible, so there is no excitement about "will they make it?": you know they will, so no fun. About the story? Where can I complain about movies that take millions of dollars to tell stupid stories that involve ancient civilizations? I don't care what the purpose of this movie is, but there is no point to spread more ignorance in the world.

Kiss the Bride
Having a predictable movie is bad, but having a movie trying so desperately not to be predictable changing the plot without any coherence is worse. I'd seen better sketches when I was in high school -- the difference is that my classmates didn't have a six pack.

Le Voyage du ballon rouge (The Flight of the Red Balloon)
This movie made me think so much about my life. I asked myself questions like... Who I am? Am I happy with my life? You know... I had so much extra time while waiting for something to happen that I had to invest it in something more interesting. This is a snapshot in the lives of another classic dysfunctional French family where there is no beginning, no climax, and no end --and by the way, no story. Yes, it is beautifully shot and I loved their apartment in Paris-- I like the 'mezzanine' concept.

Meduzot (Jellyfish)
I had very high expectations after watching the trailer of this Israeli film so many times, but I was disappointed. This movie is about three interesting stories with no clear connection among them. Yes, there are three women and they are somehow disenchanted with the world -- but there is no real plot development and something coherent or evident to join them. The climax arrives and it feels like a non-desired orgasm with the wrong person-- you know it was supposed to be good, but it was not and at the end you just want to stand up and leave.

Mio fratello è figlio unico (My Brother Is an Only Child)
It's refreshing to watch a story that subtly captures the differences between political ideals and the supporters of those ideals. We are witnesses of a typical Italian family involved in a non-so typical fight. At the end -- it is another example of the fuzziness of the enemy and the drive of a fight. Good acting and very memorable scenes.

Savage Grace
This movie is disturbing... not because it is scandalous, but because it is pointless and fully surrounded by two dimensional characters. Even though we follow this family through 25 years, there is no real character development. The music is pretty, the locations are pretty, and the actors look pretty -- but that's all... a pretty facade that never gets revealed.

Sex and the City: The Movie
I enjoyed the chick flick. Nonetheless, it is difficult to judge it as I knew so much about the story and the characters from second one. The plot was coherent with the show, but the emphasis on brands and material satisfaction was excessive. They should have talked less about brands and let the men had longer dialogues. Nonetheless, I had to admit that I had a great time and the dresses were spectacular -- and that counts as I don't really care about fashion.

Tropa de Elite (Elite Squad)
This is a thoughtful and creative movie. Yes, it is about favelas, drugs, and violence... but the movie goes beyond being descriptive-- but analytical, critical, and artistic. There is such a complex story behind the screen and this movie screams talent! This is the kind of movie you can write essays about it and keep discussing it for hours.

No comments: